To go to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, we took a scenic road called the Elk Loop. It took us 2 days, the road turns around a massive peak. We love road trips, we had nothing else to do. We saw:
- mountains, with incredible views that forced us to stop to take a pic,
- ranchs, with huge wooden doors and no fences,
- mines still in activity, and some were abandoned,
- ski resorts with a Far West look.
- The Elk Loop is actually 2 loops – Routes 133, 135 and 92.
- 205 miles (330 km), 10 hours of driving, de trajet, with many stops.
- We stopped to sleep at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and in Crested Butte, a lovely village. Old Town Inn was a plain motel but with an awesome service.Thank your guys!
- From Crested Butte, we took a dirt road, closed during winter, to the Kebler pass. The road is incredible and we saw a lot of wild animals.
- Read more about our road trip in Colorado and Utah here.